6 eggs, separated; plus 6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp orange zest
1/2 cup sliced almonds, finely ground in a food processor
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 inch circular cake pan with parchment paper and butter the sides.
- pour boiling water over the poppy seeds to cover with water. let sit for 5 minutes, and then drain. grind the poppy seeds in a food processor until they are smooth.
- beat your egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff, and set aside.
- in the top of a double boiler, with water simmering below over low heat, whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar until thick and light yellow. add the poppy seeds, spices and whisk to combine.
- remove from heat and fold in the egg whites and almonds.
- pour batter in pan and bake around 45 minutes. sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before serving.