1/3 cup bulgur, (type of greek grain)
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp evoo
1 lb ground lamb
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 large egg
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Combine bulgur and water in a small bowl; let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
- Preheat over to 350F.
- Place the reserved bulgur, the above spices, parsley in a large bowl. Add lamb, yellow onion, egg, garlic, cayenne, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 12 equal balls, then form each into an oval patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the patties on the prepared pan. Cook in oven, turning once, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 30 minutes total.
3 cups greek yogurt
juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 medium cucumbers, seeded and grated
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- grate the cucumbers on large eye, and salt them. let stand for a few minutes and squeeze away extra liquids.
- combine cucumbers and all above listed ingredients. refrigerate.
to pull the whole thing together, warm a pita; then add two patties of lamb, generous serving of tzatziki, diced tomatoes and red onion- and most important, french fries!