2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
pinch of saffron
salt & pepper
1/2 cup orzo
1/2 cup heavy cream
- heat the evoo in a pot over medium low heat. add the onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron, 1 tbsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper. bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- meanwhile, cook the orzo in a separate pan for 7 minutes. drain, and add to the soup - it will finish off cooking in the soup.
- next stir in the cream, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- serve with gruyere grilled cheese croutons.