½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 rosemary sprig
1 sage leaf
4 cups canned tomatoes
pinch of red-pepper flakes
1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper
1. preheat the oven to 375˚.
2. in a saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. add the onion, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant but not brown, about 5 minutes.
3. add the tomatoes and the red-pepper flakes to the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by half, about 10 minutes. stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. divide the tomato sauce among 6 small, shallow, oven-proof dishes and place an olive half in each. Crack 2 eggs into each dish. sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper. transfer the eggs to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes.
5. meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon, turning once, until crisp. remove the eggs from the oven and top each serving with a slice of the warm bacon. serve with toasted bread.