1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 head broccoli florets
bacon (as much as you like)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
2 tbsp parmasean
salt & pepper
- melt the butter and add chopped onion and minced garlic, sautee until golden, about 5 minutes.
- stir in the flour, until it is thickened, let sautee for one minute so the starch cooks out. next slowly stir in the milk, then add the bay leaf, healthy pinch of ground nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. stir until the mixture will thicken.
- add the chicken stock, and once all has come to a boil add one head of chopped broccoli florets. let boil until the broccoli is soft, 6 minutes or so.
- take the pot off the heat and remove the bay leaf. use a wand to puree the soup until very smooth.
- put over a small heat again and add cheddar cheese until all melted through as well as the parmasean for taste. add some fried chopped bacon into the soup.
- plate, garnish with more cheese and bacon -- enjoy!