1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp water
1 cup pecans, divided
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- preheat oven to 375F. coat a 9-inch round pan with a removable bottom (preferably) with butter.
- to make crust: spread oats in another pie pan and toast in over about 10 minutes. place the oats in a food processor and process until coarsely ground.
- stir together oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. drizzle oil onto dry ingredients and use a fork blend until crumbly. using a fork, stir in water, until dough just comes together.
- turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead about 8 times. roll the dough out to an 11-inch circle, dusting with flour if necessary. transfer the dough to prepared pan, pressing to fit. trim edges.
- to make filling & bake: spread 1/2 cup pecans on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. coarsely chop.
- whisk brown sugar, eggs, egg whites, corn syrup, vinegar, butter, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until smooth. stir in dried cranberries and the chopped pecans. spoon filling into crust. arrange remaining 1/2 cup pecans on top of the filling.
- bake the tart until filling is set and crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.