2 cups finely ground yellow corn flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-inch of fresh ginger, grated
2 fresh green chiles, jalapeno or serrano, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1-1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon canola oil
- Combine corn flour, all-purpose flour and salt in a medium bowl. Mix in ginger, chiles, onion and cilantro.
- Drizzle warm water over the mixture, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring it in as you go, until the mixture starts to come together and form a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough into 12 portions and shape each into a ball. Keep the balls covered with plastic wrap or with a slightly damp paper towel.
- Combine melted butter and oil in a small bowl, have handy near the stove.
- Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place a ball of dough between sheets of wax paper. Press it down to form a patty, then roll it out into a 1/8-inch-thick disc, 4 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Gently peel the dough off the paper and add it to the hot pan. Cook until the underside is light brown in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip it over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Brush the top with butter-oil mixture and flip it over to sear it, about 30 seconds. Repeat with the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Serve warm.